Labels

Monday, February 6, 2012

Lab 5- Ball Handling Skills


1.) Use the Internet to search for information about turtles and how they live.
  • A large about of turtles spends more of their time in water, however they are air-breathing animals that do have to come to the surface once and a while to get some air. There are two types of turtles. The first is sea turtles that live in the oceans, and then there are fresh water turtles. The first turtles existed near 2 million years ago. Some turtles now of days can live up to 150 years old.


  • http://www.junglewalk.com/info/turtle-information.htm


2.) Identify the fitness components being addressed in squad square fitness. Where are these components located on the New York State Conceptual Framework for K-12 Physical Education?

  • During the squad square fitness activity, we worked on step-ups, ski jumps, curl-ups, and hand walks. During the step-ups, we were working on agility. Being able to move your feet quick and easy made the activity easier. I would say during all the activities we were working on our speed. We had to slow down so everyone was on time, or speed up to keep on track with the song. Both agility, and speed are under the elements of skill related fitness on the framework chart for physical education. I believe that we were also working on our cardiovascular endurance. During all the activities, we were trying to get our blood to flow faster, and get a work out. I believe that if you were doing all the activities correctly, then you were working on your cardiovascular endurance. Cardiovascular endurance can be found in the elements of health related fitness on the framework chart for physical education.


3.) Prescribe a series of ball handling skills for a second grade boy or girl that is afraid of catching a ball. What kinds of objects might you prescribe for throwing and catching?

  • I would start out with an activity that is called hoop target with arms. Due to the fact that the child is afraid of catching the ball, I will ask them to throw the ball around chest level and make circles around it. This is not asking the child to catch the ball, but get close enough to it to make circles around it. This hopefully will open the child up to catching the ball. If I feel the child is comfortable enough, I will progress the child to another activity where the child has to sit down, and bounce the ball in the air and catch it with their hands. I will stress using soft hands. If I feel the child is comfortable enough, I will ask them to stand and throw the ball up, and catch the ball. I will use soft objects to practice throwing and catching. I might start with a balloon, but more likely will use a gator ball, Velcro ball, or a Geo-Ball.


4.) What are some of the guidelines you would follow in pairing students for throwing and catching?


  • When I pair students together for activities, I want to look at how advanced they are in the skills. I will not want to partner two students together who are not strong at performing the skills. Instead, I will partner a student who knows how to do the skill correctly, with a student who still needs some work. This way the student can see from his or her peer how do to the skill correctly, and the other student can provide feedback. This allows one students to give feedback, while the other one tries to enhance the skill.


5.) How would you help a special needs students learn to catch that displays delayed motor control and lack of fine motor control dexterity?
  • With a student with special needs, I would ask him to start to clap when I say clap. This will start to work with his fine motor abilities. This could take several classes on just practicing this clapping ability. I would then progress it to an open and close technique. The student would be still working on fine motor skills, just I am changing the cues to help the student catch. I would then bring in a very large but soft ball, and when I’m about to throw it say open, and when it is in mid-air I will say close. This will work on getting the timing down with the student. Also, the big object will make it easier to catch, and even if it lands in the students’ arms, the student will has the concept of catching down. I will keep using the open and close cues when I’m throwing the ball, even after the child can fully catch the ball. 

No comments:

Post a Comment